Enoki Mushroom (Flammulina velutipes), otherwise called velvet knife, is a types of palatable mushroom in the family Physalacriaceae. It is notable for its part in Japanese food, where it is otherwise called enokitake (榎茸, エノキタケ, Japanese elocution: [enoki̥ꜜtake]).
The mushroom normally becomes on the stumps of the Chinese hackberry tree (Celtis sinensis) and on different trees, like debris, mulberry and persimmon trees. Enoki can be sourced September-March and has been named winter growth because of its irregularity. Wild structures vary in shading, surface, and vileness and might be called futu, fish mushrooms, winter mushrooms or winter organism, velvet foot, velvet stem or velvet knife.
Varieties Enoki Mushroom
Two new assortments of F. velutipes are depicted by researchers on morphological grounds in 2015. They have additionally proposed in 2018 that F. velutipes var. filiformis, the Asian enokitake, ought to establish a different animal varieties F. filiformis on phylogenetic grounds.
The west American assortment F. velutipes var. lupinicola has likewise been proposed to shape its own species. Starting at 2020, the two new species are perceived to MycoBank, Index Fungorum, and the NCBI scientific categorization tree.
The mushroom could be mistaken for the harmful Galerina marginata, which has earthy colored covers and stipe, and brown, corroded spores; it additionally will in general become detached and presents a ring.
Other comparable species incorporate Flammulina populicola, Connopus acervatus, Gymnopus villosipes, and Gymnopus erythropus.
Flammulina velutipes is a decent consumable mushroom, however may have a delicate or disgusting texture.The wild stipe is too difficult to even think about eating. Enokitake mushrooms contain ergothioneine and terpenes.
Spicy Enoki Mushroom
- 16 Ounces enoki mushrooms
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- Cut the last 2 crawls off the mushrooms and dispose of. Separate the mushroom strands delicately.
- Hotness oil in a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium hotness. Add garlic and cook until only fragrant, around 1 moment. Add mushrooms and sautéed food until they start to shrivel, around 2 minutes. Add soy sauce and ginger; throw to cover. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
How to store and clean Enoki Mushroom?When you get your enoki mushrooms, what’s the most ideal way of keeping them new? Also, how to clean them prior to cooking them?
- Store the mushrooms in a paper bag in the refrigerator (not produce drawer).The best way to store mushrooms is in a paper bag, which allows them to breathe. Leave them in the main part of the refrigerator to get good airflow, not the produce drawer.
- Clean them with a quick rinse. Give the mushrooms a speedy wash to get off any soil (don’t drench them or they can become soaked).
More ways to serve enoki mushroomsTry not to need to make sauteed enoki mushrooms? There are bunches of different thoughts where you don’t have to cook them independently. This is what to do:
- Ramen: Throw into ramen broth in the last few minutes cooking. Try Easy Vegetarian Ramen, Vegan Mushroom Ramen, Tofu Ramen, or Miso Ramen.
- Hot pot: Try them in a hot pot and drop them right in.
- Salad: Try them raw in a Golden Needle Mushroom Salad.